Thursday, May 19, 2016

Personal Revelation

NI HAO

This week has been a wonderful week! I am so excited that I have the opportunity and privilege to come here to Sibu. It's nice to have a fresh start with a new area, new companion, new people, new everything! So far I have loved sibu! One thing I'm most excited about is Chinese. Out here hardly anybody speaks English and the branch is a Chinese branch. My Chinese has improved already within the few days I have been here. On Sunday I blessed the sacrament in Chinese and gave a talk and bore my testimony in Chinese!  I discovered that I know more then I give myself credit for. I'm excited to continue to learn and progress in the Chinese language.
 
My faith has increased a lot within these past few days, especially today. I had a wonderful experience last night and this morning in receiving personal revelation. At church we watched a video about receiving personal revelation and it showed the experiences of Joseph smith receiving revelation for the Doctrine and Covenants. It then related how we ourselves can receive personalized revelation and explained to us how to do it. That video struck my and made me feel the spirit. I kept reflecting on it that night. So in my nightly prayer last night, I followed the videos guidance and seeked for personal revelation. Upon asking my specific question a thought began flowing into my head like someone was speaking to me and told me what I must do. As it happened I felt a nice peace and sort of like I was not in my own mind. After the thoughts stopped flowing I received a distinct impression to "write it down" So I wrote down what I had heard. The answer helped me as I fell asleep last night. I fell asleep in peace and my soul was comforted. This morning however, when I woke up, the doubts came in and I began to question if what I heard was just my own thoughts telling myself what I wanted to hear. And I flipped open to the scriptures in Luke 24: 36-38. And it says: 

 36 ¶And as they thus spake, Jesus himself stood in the midst of them, and saith unto them, Peace be unto you.

 37 But they were terrified and affrighted, and supposed that they had seen a spirit.

 38 And he said unto them, Why are ye troubled? and why do thoughts arise in your hearts?

Verse 36 and 38 really stuck out to me and helped me feel peace that it was revelation. When it asks "why do thoughts arise in your hearts?" there is a foot note on thoughts that say "doubts; hesitation" And so I asked myself why do I let thoughts of doubt and hesitation keep holding me back? After that I read a blessing that Elder Avery gave to me while we were companions that I had written down. And the words of the personal revelation I had received lined up almost word for word with the words of the blessing. And it confirmed to me that it was revelation and brought much peace unto my soul and weary heart. It has increased my faith in the Savior Jesus Christ and his gospel. I know that this church is true and I know that God loves me. I know that he has not forgotten me and is on my side cheering for me. I love God and I love this church.

As for miracles this week I would say that experience was the biggest. But this week we did have a member who brought his cousins to church and we were able to meet them and will be trying to teach them soon. The branch here is very small only about 20 or so at sacrament. I hope and pray that I can find a leader who will build the kingdom and the Chinese branch here.

I love my companion Elder Pearce! He is so fun and we clicked right away! He is from Utah. He went to Brighton high school. We have a great relationship already and I am excited that the Lord has put me with him.

Also, Elder Avery Grant is in my district!!!!! I am so pumped!! We were good friends in high school! I am so glad to see him out here on a mission! I got so lucky that he is in my district! We have seen each other a lot this week.




Elder Schwemmer's good friend Elder Grant from high school!


 
 
The other Elders in my district are Elder Knight, Elder Ee, and Elder Meacham. Today for pday the district is having a movie day. Sibu is pretty empty so there's not much to do. Today its raining pretty hard anyways.
 
Our house that we live in is HUGE!!!!! Just Elder Pearce and I live in it. It is so big and empty. There's a cool story behind our house. So in Sibu there are a bunch of Chinese gangs. Well, many years ago, some missionaries met the big boss of the gangs. They taught him all of the lessons. He was about to be baptized but if he wanted to be baptized he would have had to confess all his sins. But he didn't want to. However, he absolutely loves the church and the Elders. The only reason we have a big house is because he is the land lord of it and hooked up the church with a way good deal on it. The other day he also saw us eating lunch and he came and payed for us. He protects us haha its way sick.
 
Another funny story: This week I crashed for the first time on my bike haha. I'm using a crappy left over bike while my good bike is being shipped over here. Well I was riding no handed on the main road and there was a big puddle coming up. So I looked behind my shoulder to see if there were any cars coming so that I could go around the puddle. Well when I looked back there were some huge bumps in front of me that I didn't see and I totally ate it haha. There were so many cars there and they probably all saw haha. At first, my pride was more hurt then anything but I got over it. Haha even a couple branch members saw and talked to me about it at church lol. I got a bunch of scrapes and a bruised hip but I'm doing fine haha.

Well I love you all! Thanks for everything!

Love, 
Elder Schwemmer






 

No comments:

Post a Comment